CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) are major drivers of Socio-economic development. New ways of doing things effectively and concerted efforts, including multi-disciplinary approaches are necessary for the realisation of transformational impacts in society. Scholars have to play their role by articulating new ideas, information and how these can translate good socio-economic practices and services. Attainment of development goals through threatened by many factors including novel socio-economic conditions and resilience to disasters, which have multi-disciplinary dimensions, provide excellent opportunities for research engagement between wide spectrum of academic disciplines, experts and practitioners in addressing societal challenges.
Due to the current corona virus pandemic, we will this year hold our conference virtually, and participants will for the first time interact virtually. The university of Nairobi is therefore making all the necessary arrangements to make this conference deliver a unique experience to the participants.
This Conference, hosted by the College of Biological and Physical Sciences, will be held within the auspices of University of Nairobi Research week in October 2020, aims to discuss new ideas following advances in sciences and indicate how these can become good socio-economic practices which steer activities for attainment sustainable development goals and visions.
The conference also presents an opportunity for scholars, experts, practitioners, early career scientists, principal investigators and project partners in sciences and other disciplines to share their research findings in the form presentations, keynote addresses, and early results from ongoing initiatives. The conference will be fully online. Presentations/ papers can be oriented but not limited to the following sub-themes.
Overall Conference theme: Sciences and cross disciplinary research and practices transforming society for sustainable development.
- Science, Technology and Innovation in Industry for Sustainable Socio-Economic Transformation.
- Start-Ups, SMEs; MSMEs and Spin-offs
- Science, technology and innovation for value addition and job creation
- Natural and artificial raw materials in industry
- Biotechnology and nanotechnology
- Statistical Quality control and acceptance sampling in industry
- Automation for improved industry
- Alternative sources of energy for development
- Science- Investment Partnerships for Training and Technology Transfer
- Climate Change Mitigation and Environmental Conservation
- Accelerating sustainable Universal Health Care Through Advances in Scientific Research, Technology and Innovation
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) technologies. o Upcoming viral, bacterial and societal diseases
- Improved Diagnostic techniques
- Actuarial models for health insurance
- Models for disease prediction
- Geo-environment and health
- Advances in management and disposal of hazardous wastes
- Promoting Collaborative Scientific Research, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Utilization of Natural Products.
- Advances in bio-materials for construction, fuel and biochemical production
- Green-housing technologies
- Indigenous knowledge, Traditional Health systems and natural products o Pharmacology and bio prospecting
- Sustainable environmental resource utilisation
- Biofuels and alternative energy sources versus food security
- Natural products in drug discovery
- Natural product chemistry -biology
- Climate change and natural products
- Scientific Research, Technology and Innovations for Sustainable Food Production:
- Insects for food and feed
- Microorganisms in food production enhancement
- Advances in crop protection
- Monitoring, Early Warning Systems for Agriculture and Livestock
- Genetically Modified Foods and Crops
- Water for Food Security
- Rocks for Crops
- Alternative food sources for enhanced food security
- Climate Change and Smart Agriculture
- Management of emerging physical calamities, diseases and pests
- Pest control -Locust, army worm, maize virus etc.
- Predicting and managing emerging and chronic calamities such as flooding, drought.
- Models for prediction of agricultural pest invasions.
- Control /management of emerging human diseases such as Ebola, COVID-2019.
- Scientific Research Outputs and Applications from Disciplines (Basic Sciences):
- Mathematics (Biostatistics, Algebraic Geometry, Actuarial Sciences, among others)
- Climate Change
- Computer Science
Original contributions are welcome.