3rd ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON THE STATUS OF AFRICAN WOMEN
The African Women’s Studies Centre (AWSC) of the University of Nairobi will hold a conference from with the theme:
“Women, Climate Change, Environment and Technology”
Due to the current corona virus pandemic, we will this year hold our conference virtually, and participants will for the first time interact virtually. The University of Nairobi is therefore making all the necessary arrangements to make this conference deliver a unique experience to the participants.
The aim of the conference is to bring together scholars involved in research on areas evolving around areas women and environment; gender issues and environment; women’s socio-economic empowerment and environment; gender, politics, environment and governance as well as documenting and preserving African women’s knowledge and experiences in relation to environment. This conference will provide an opportunity for networking among scholars from various backgrounds and enable participants to share practical solutions for a healthy environment.
In this perspective the AWSC invites abstracts and full papers from interested scholars on the following broad thematic areas:
- Impact of climate change on African women’s lives.
- Challenges facing women in the struggle for food security in the context of climate change and diminishing natural resources.
- Exploring appreciation of science and technology for women in the context of environmental degradation.
- Vulnerability of African women to disasters.
- Gender issues in the preservation of African cultural indigenous knowledge in the era of technology.
- Environmental effects on African women.
The possible sub-themes:
- Women and Climate Change :
- African women and food security.
- Gender issues in natural resources
- Women and technology
- Women and environment
- Environment and African women’s security
- African indigenous knowledge
- Environmental conflicts
Artistic works including poems, stories/narratives or songs relevant to specific sub-themes are also welcome